Jerry Yan Fan Meet in Manila 2004

My first time to see Jerry Yan at NBC Tent for Bench endorsement. I ask my brother Azrael to cover the event. His first experience in vlogging! I'll write a blog post about this memorable-chaotic-unforgettable experience!

Thursday, September 30, 2010

A Brilliant Shooting star - Jerry Yan the King of Idol Drama





Nine years after crowned as the King of Idol Drama, Jerry Yan now wears a beard that adds maturity and character. He said that the change is for a new production.

It doesn’t matter how many different roles that Jerry Yan has played on screen..., the most memorable is Dao Ming Si of [Meteor Garden] in the eyes of the generations born in the 70s and 80s. “I can’t forget the first time we met, your beautiful eyes…” (Theme song in [Meteor Garden])

If it were not for Angie Chai, the producer of [Meteor Garden], Jerry Yan would not have been discovered, at least would not have risen to the fame the way he did over night. Chai was casting for the idol drama [Meteor Garden] based on the popular Japanese comic strip and was in search of 4 young leading men who are handsome and tall, with body height of 1.8 meters, among Taiwanese actors. Angie Chai: “We had to ask for help from friends and casting agencies. The four of them were selected among more than 200 candidates.” Yang Ying, a radio hostess, “Like many things, the first version is easily the best since it sets expectations that are usually hard to meet by the followers. Jerry Yan’s look, personality and performance were the closest to the character among all.”

[Meteor Garden] set the trend of idol drama in Taiwan. Not only it established idol drama as a recognized industry, but also finished the era of Japanese drama which has dominated TV screens in Taiwan for decades. For the first time, the super idols were made in Taiwan.

Jerry Yan said humbly: “The role of Dao Ming Si was great. Like I mentioned in the interviews, I believe that I could have done a better job than portraying myself. My personality is very close to the character. I guess that’s also why people remembered the character so well.” Jerry Yan’s successful portrait of the character is regarded the best by his fans comparing to those played the different versions of the same role. “Let me carry the weight of your dream...”(Jerry Yan singing the theme song with F4). The boy band with Jerry Yan and three others, Vic Chou, Vanness Wu and Ken Chu, was named F4. They dominated the stage wherever they appeared. Jerry Yan who came from a humble background was crowned the King of the Idol Drama.


Ups and Downs but still on the Frontline, One would expect Jerry Yan to keep the momentum of his huge success in [Meteor Garden] and take on large number of jobs. However Jerry Yan only starred in two idol dramas, [Come to My House] and [Meteor Garden2], and one movie [Magic Kitchen]. Jerry Yan also had conflict with Angie Chai due to the impossible shooting schedules and the tremendous workload of [Meteor Garden2]. He had only a few record deals afterwards and his career seemed to be in trouble. Jerry Yan seemed have disappeared from the public eyes. In reality Jerry was taking acting classes to improve his skills and waiting for a good opportunity.

Finally all efforts were paid off. In 2004 a perfect opportunity came knocking on his door and he was cast to play the leading role, Dr. Su Yihua of [The Hospital]. Although the job put a lot of stress on Jerry, he pulled it through. Jerry Yan: “It was such an important role for me. If you have watched the drama, you could see that I had the opportunity to work with some great actors, such as Leon Dai. With their interactions I exceeded my own expectations. It was such a great experience.” After [The Hospital], Jerry Yan seemed to have unlocked the secret of acting. He made more successful idol dramas, [Hot Shot], [Starlit] and the new [Down with Love].


Although Jerry doesn’t have a long list of credit, fans worldwide loved every drama he made. This also caused the curiosity of how Jerry managed to top the competitive entertainment business with just the right amount of exposure. Jerry Yan: “Certain things will disappear with time. I believe that continuous improvement of my acting skills is the best way to stay competitive. I would like to show that I am a good actor even if I don’t make a lot of idol dramas. I’m still a boy at heartJerry Yan who is shy in the limelight did not have a happy childhood. He lost his father at 12 and survived the childhood with his older sister and his mom. His mom worked as a Seamstress to raise Jerry and his sister. Jerry has been a very good son to his mom by working to support the family at a very young age. His dream is to become someone his mom can be proud of. It was reported recently that he was born out of wedlock. The hardship during his early years has made him to believe that he needed to work very hard to earn his success. Although his net worth is in the billions today, he still remembers his poor days and lives a very simple life. He still drives a 10 year old car that breaks down all the time. He doesn’t believe in materialism and living a high life. Jerry Yan: “I could have never dreamed what I have now. I am a very lucky person.”


As a leader of the new generation of actors in Taiwan, Jerry Yan naturally received harsher criticism while shouldering higher expectations. Some even think that his success is because of his look. Media often reads his shyness as arrogant and cold. Media has not been as critical to the others in F4. Jerry Yan: “I’ve learned a lot in the entertainment circle. I’ve grown up. But I’m still a little boy at heart.”


The Love Story of the Prince and the Princess As the other in F4, Jerry Yan has been reported to have a few relationships. The most popular gossip focused on Chiling Lin and Terri Kwan. Jerry Yan: “I need someone who can understand and discipline me. I like someone who is mature.” Based on Jerry’s criteria, Chiling Lin seemed to be a good fit. She is pretty and smart with good people skills. In his new book [9314 Man and Boy], Jerry recorded the love story of “the Prince and the Princess” which unfortunately ended. He admitted that this is the love of his life. With the help of the intimate cell phone photos of the two circulating on the internet after the cell phone maintenance, it is believed that the gossip was true. Jacky Wu at the 2006 Asia Pacific Film Festival: “What is this (the handshake)? Let’s have a proper greeting (a hug), ok?” Chiling Lin: “I’m very happy to see him and his success. I’m deeply honored.” Jacky Wu: “You made it sounded like you two were not very close to each other?!” At an interview Chiling Lin cried watching a video clip of Jerry. Jerry: “If I had a girl friend, I’d definitely bring her to see my mom.” Interviewer had to offer tissue to Chiling to dry her tears. Jerry Yan: “I think that I was not romantic or considerate enough for the girls I’ve dated. I wish them all good luck and happiness.”


Jerry met Terri Kwan when shooting [Starlit] in 2008. Their interaction in the drama looked very real. It was then reported that they toured Thailand together. (However both denied the rumor.) Terri Kwan and Jerry Yan in [Starlit]: “My life is timed and it’s impossible to be together with you!” “What do you want me to do?! I can’t pretend that I don’t love you!” Be it gossips or news of his new projects, Jerry Yan’s life has always been the focus of the media. However in private, Jerry Yan is a big boy who is shy but extremely serious about his acting career.

source
http://www.facebook.com/posted.php?id=10306433076&share_id=142559209121728&comments=1#s142559209121728

No comments:

Post a Comment